From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:52:18 -0800
Mimi Ezust responds to Karl Miller:

>> The more I thought about this the more I wondered if the Rachmaninoff
>> reference was not about the use of the 18th of the Paganini Variations
>> as used in "Somewhere in Time?"
>
> If you are going THERE (to that piece of music, I mean), then I can
> identify that movie for you...  it was played in the movie "The Story
> of Three Loves".
>
> That music was responsible for my cutting Junior High School to sit
> through continuous performances of the dreadful movie till I could hear
> the melody in my head, identify it in the credits, and finally BUY it
> on LP.  I didn't care about the stupid story and bad acting, but the
> music knocked me out.  I was thrilled to hear the other variations and
> it remains, almost 50 years later, one of my favorite compositions!

So when you were in junior high school, Mimi, was it the Richard Hayman
hit record on the radio (with Jerry Murad of the Harmonicats playing the
theme) that sent you to the movie "Story of Three Loves" in 1953?  I've
just discovered that William Kapell (With Fritz Reiner and the Robin
Hood Dell Orch.) put Rachy's 18th variation out on a single that apparently
reached the top 20 in the Billboard chart.  It charted about two weeks
after Kapell was killed in a plane crash.

PS: Are we dating ourselves, or what?

Donald "Trivia" Clarke