From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:13:07 -0400
Pablo Massa writes:

>However, our modern notion of progress (I mean, from XVIII century to the
>present) needs of the idea of an arriving point.  Which was this arriving
>point is another problem, because there was many of them

I don't think the common contemporary usage of "progress" implies
an endpoint or destination as much as it implies improvement over time.
Progress means that things don't just change over time, they get better.
People sometimes speak of progress toward a goal, but absent that
specification of a goal, it's change for the better that's assumed.
And, of course, "better" is problematic when it comes to art.

len.