From:
Scott Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 00:00:30 -0700
Gustav Mahler himself stated, (but I paraphrase here) that each one of
his symphonies was intended to be "it's own world in and of itself ".  But
his unmistakable signature style was branded strongly upon of all his work.
I sight his symphony #5 the as definitive "typical Mahler" example.  As a
composer myself, I believe that Mahler used the basic structures and form
of his own past works as templates to create many of his new ones, whereas
Bruckner for example, would constantly revise and rework the same piece
throughout his lifetime, hence all of different (and unfinished) versions
of his symphonies.  Mahler like many other composers, had no problem with
recycling his own thematic material as well.  The theme appearing in the
finale of his sym#5 (see jpeg) has reappeared in various incarnations in
many of his works, most notably "Des Knaben Wuderhorn".  The beautiful
"adagietto" from his 5th both harmonically and in basic structure has
served as a template for other of his slow movements.  And, I do not fault
this extraordinary creator in the least for borrowing from himself.  He had
a lot to say, things which I'm sure he felt should not be said in just one
symphony.

"Scott Lasky" <[log in to unmask]>