From:
Joel Schlemowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:49:53 -0400
At New School we're in the midst of a significant struggle with the
administration.  One of the issues in our part-time faculty contract
negotiations the administration's attempt to exclude 300 of our members
who teach in the New School music division (Mannes) from our union.  This
is after the National Labor Relations Board certified our union to include
the Mannes faculty.

There is nothing different from a member of the Mannes faculty and any
other faculty member at New School.  While one teaches Shakespeare's
Othello, the other teaches Verdi's Otello.  But were the New School
administration to prevail, the classical music faculty of our university
would have the status of second-class citizens.

We need the classical music listening world to stand up for the rights
of classical musicians at the Mannes School of Music.

Find out more, and what you can do to help at:

   http://www.newschooluaw.org/mannes.html

thank you,
Joel Schlemowitz
Part-Time Faculty, The New School