From:
Felix Delbruck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 08:25:00 +1300
Don Satz wrote:

>The Lindsays are a superb group whether it's Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven,
>or others.  But, I'm surprised Felix does not notice reverberation in their
>recordings; I do.  I suppose each of us has "personalized" ears.

Odd - although now, listening again to their Beethoven quartet, you're
probably right.  Give me a bit of time to get used to the Brendel disc -
it's also pretty closely miked.  I don't think all the Lindsay recordings
are equally reverberent - the Mozart disc I listened to yesterday sounds
pretty clean to me, whereas their live Haydn quartets from the Wigmore Hall
are so muddy that some of them are almost impossible to listen to in my
view - I have to give them the treatment of my computer speaker, which
cuts out most unwanted and wanted sounds.  I must see about getting an
equalizer, whatever that turns out to be.  My 20-year-old amplifier has
two dials:  bass and treble.

Couldn't agree more about the Lindsay Quartet.

Felix Delbruck