From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:57:25 -0500
Pablo Massa wrote:

>A few days ago I received one of my (anticipated) birthday presents: a
>Sibelius' Symphonies integrale (Karajan / Okko Kamu - Berlin Phil. / RSO
>Helsinki, 3CD DG 474 353-2).  I've not listened all of it yet but I think
>I like it, particularly Kamu's versions of 1st.  and 3rd.  I never heard
>before HvK playing a Sibelius symphony but, in first instance, I liked
>his 5th and 7th.  Time will confirm or not this first impression.
>
>I would like to read comments of listmembers on this integrale, if there's
>some.

Nothing special to say.  These are very famous recordings.  I believe
Kamu's Second was the result of his winning a competition, with the
prize the opportunity to record a piece of his choosing with the Berlin
Philharmonic.  (I welcome correction if I'm wrong.) The disc was well
received, and Kamu was thought to be at the start of a major career.
As it turned out "major" was relative.  He certainly has done well and
earned respect, but he never quite broke out as a major figure on the
international stage.  He seemed, rather, to settle into a niche conducting
Finnish music. (Was that overstated?) Maybe that was never his goal.  I
have no idea.

Karajan's recordings were famous additions to the refined and aesthetic
school of Sibelius conducing.  They're quite different from his EMI set
with the same orchestra--those tended to be darker and heavier--and his
livelier 2 and 5 with the Philharmonia.  He may have recorded others
with the Philharmonia, but I don't recall.

If you think you'd like to augment this collection, I'd probably start
with the last three, if for no reason that, good as they are, they tend
to stand at a stylistic extreme. By the way, keep after that recording
of 4.  It's very good, but requires some time.

All in all, enjoy. It's a fine set.

Roger Hecht