From:
Rick Mabry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:06:57 -0600
Laurence Glavin wrote,

>The Curies' experiments with radium proved that a substance could give off
>heat for an indeterminant period of time, but Kelvin would not have any of
>it.  So even seemingly wide-ranging intellects can be held in bondage by
>old, discredited "ideas".

And even Newton devoted himself to alchemy in much of the latter part
of his life, wanting to turn lead into gold.  Of course, he might not
have been too far off the mark if you consider that centuries later
elements would indeed be found to transmute, as with radium...

As to music, there must be many cases of fruitful alchemy.  Who were the
most productive sorcerers?  I know that Scriabin (sorry for mentioning
him earlier!) was quite the mystic and that this drove much of his
inspiration when he wrote music.  Who else benefitted from such ...
fantasies?  Surely, musician and artists must be at the top of these
lists.

Well, we benefitted, to be sure.  It reminds me also of a comment of
Bill Maher, something like, "I can't condone heroin use, but it hasn't
hurt my record collection."

Are there notable examples of druggies/alcoholics in classical music,
whose addictions or predilections are thought to have been positive
influences in their work?

Rick Mabry
Shreveport, LA