From:
Ravi Narasimhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:56:25 -0800
Quoting Roger Lebow <[log in to unmask]>:

>I think the decision to leave the program stand without encore has more
>to do with an sense of its integrality rather than union or orchestral
>policy (neither of which exists, as far as I know).

Fair enough.  In retrospect, the union situation in LA sounded just
reasonable enough to be an urban legend.  From Nick Jones's message,
however, maybe the situation is different in Atlanta?

The only encore I've heard at an LA Philharmonic concert was Hilary Hahn
doing a little bit of Bach after the Brahms concerto a couple of years
ago.  When Eschenbach brought the NDR Orchestra to the Dorothy Chandler,
they did two encores.

>I was among the guanoest of the bat-guanoistas at the Berlin PO concert,
>and I must say that while an encore might not have been entirely unwelcome
>(though what do you play after the finale of the Schubert "Great" C
>Major???),

A spontaneous, complete Beethoven 7th would have hit the spot.

>there was no emotional need or justification for one.  I think we were
>waxing guanoid because we'd been part of a singular musical experience,
>and this was the way we could give something back to the players.

I think for most of us non-musicians in the audience, we just didn't
want the evening to end.

Ravi Narasimhan