From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:07:45 -0700
   http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3D102728168

   Weekend Edition Saturday, April 4, 2009 - Opera can touch
   the heart, stir the soul and soothe the savage breast -
   yes, that is the correct quote.  To do all of those things
   and more, there's a new collection of opera called The
   Record of Singing: a pair of box sets, 10 CDs each, covering
   the history of recorded opera from 1899 to the present.

   As NPR's classical music producer - and an opera fanatic -
   I took Weekend Edition Saturday host Scott Simon on a brief,
   chronological guided tour.  (You can hear the singers we
   discussed on the left-hand side of this page.) We began
   with the earliest recording in the set, a scratchy-sounding
   rendition of the aria "C'est l'histoire amoureuse," by
   American soprano Ellen Beach Yaw in 1899.  ...

Janos Gereben
www.sfcv.org