From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 18:57:06 -0800
Perhaps we're asking the wrong question.  And I'd like to drop the "like"
nonsense - I don't know what that means.  I "like" bluegrass (been to
concerts, etc.) but I don't own a single bluegrass recording.  Nearly
everyone I've ever asked has said they like classical music.  That doesn't
mean that they seek it out.

The interesting question to me is: Why should young people listen to
classical music.  What relevance does it have in their lives.  I don't
mean relevance to the human condition in general, but specific to the
teenage experience, for example.  What would classical music give them
that rock, pop, hip-hop, etc doesn't?  Unless we can begin to identify
answers for these questions, then I just don't think there's much reason
to wring our hands and fret.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/