From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:13:50 +0200
A tip-top shaped Don Satz inquires in part:

>c.  Symphonic music of the Swedish composer Albert Rubenson conducted by
>Roy Goodman on Sterling.  Rubenson's dates are 1826 - 1901.

Yes, a minor discovery for those inclined for the early romantics from
my backyard, hardly the most original voice, but not without something to
say.  I really never had the right words to discribe romantic music, but
like most Swedish music from the latter part of the 19'th century, it's
Germanic, but lighter with a tuch of "folksy" flavor.  Perhaps a proto
Petersson-Berger, ore P-B mixed with Franz Berwald, probobly like most
Swedish composers of the time, a Wagner "vannabe", but firmly rooted in a
Schubertian/Mendelsoninan language, that's atleast what my ears tell me.
The recording is not bad at all, The Ume' SO (same orchestra as in The
Vainberg chamber symphonies) seem to be on a stride.

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)