From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:23:39 -0800
Linda Phillips ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Don Satz wrote:
>
>>The 20th century contributions of British composers may well outweigh the
>>contributions from the American side; that's nothing unexpected either.
>>The U.S. has been a great source of 'contribution' to many areas of life,
>>but art music is not one of our strengths or priorities
>
>Hello?  Has no one here ever heard of Charles Ives, Samuel Barber, ...

You list a good few US composers who would have counted as avant-garde in
their day yet I've seen little or no mention of any ENglish equivalents.

Cornelius Cardew, Gavin Bryars, Howard Skempton, to pick three at random.
(Actually three I knew/know personally)

As for diversity: well, the US has 4-5 times the population of Britain and
a far more diverse population, culturally speaking, although, as somebody
else pointed out, England has played home to a fair number of significant
refugee composers.

Deryk Barker