From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 11:42:15 -0700
Glenn Miller ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>... I would look for the London Chamber Orchestra, Warren-Green cond.
>on Virgin/EMI.  ...  I am not a big fan of these works but I do enjoy
>my disc from time to time and I might add, it received a rosette in the
>Penguin Guide.  However there are others (the English labels) that also
>are very good--ASMF, Marriner(old favorite) and the rest I have not
>heard such as Barbirolli(not sure if you can get the Lark Ascending).

And that Penguin rosette was one of the things that undermined my
respect for the guide.  Warren-Green's disc is OK, but Barbirolli's
(which used to have the rosette in earlier editions of the PG) is in an
entirely different class.  The Tallis Fantasia on that set is the finest
I've ever heard and the Elgar Introduction & Allegro is IMHO only matched
by Barbirolli's own 1950s recording.

AFAIK there is no Barbirolli-led Lark Ascending.

Deryk Barker