From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:56:47 -0400
Friends, I have a request.

The first time I heard an alternative completion of the Mozart requiem
was in a recording with Neville Marriner, I believe, and the Academy of St
Martin In-The-Fields.  But their Lachrymosa was so different from the one
I was used to that I tuned out completely.  From that day I have shied away
from these non-Sussmayer versions, but maybe I have been too hasty.

The version I presently play most frequently is the one by Gardiner and the
Monteverdi Choir, but one day when i was paying attention, I was stunned
again by the Lachrymosa: it was different from the Sussmayer version.

Can anyone who knows about these things summarize what the different
versions now available on record attempt to do; e.g.  which parts of
the mass are different from the Sussmayer traditional version, and how
different are they, which parts have been completely re-composed in
contrast to being re-orchestrated.

Is it the case that Robert Levine's version is a more careful, idiomatic
(?) orchestration of the Requiem, leaving the composition recognizably the
same as the Sussmeyer version in other respects? So far I have heard about
completions by Sussmeyer, Eubler, Maunder, Levine, and Bloch(?)

Are there others? Can some kind sould post a summary along the lines I've
suggested?

arch