From:
Eric Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:44:59 -0500
I first saw Amahl at the NY Historical Society when I was just a child.
It was performed with piano.  That tradition continued for many years,
although I don't think it still is in effect.  When I worked for Schirmer's
Rentals 30 years ago, when Christmas came near, dozens of sets of
orchestral and two piano editions were rented.  I assume that there
is still a big demand.

Recently, on a Pops concert on TV from Utah, Keith Lockwood conducted the
dances from Amahl.

Personally, I think that Amahl might be Menotti's best work.  The
attractive melodies are not cloying and the emotions are not overdrawn,
which is not waht one could say about the Consul or the Medium.

Also, the original show was redone for color TV.  The fact thbat it no
longer is played onTV is not surprising considering that classical music
is represented on `commercial TV by Charlotte Church.

Eric Goldberg