From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 21:06:51 -0400
Roger Hecht wrote:

>There is one more thing, though.  The majors tend to record major names and
>orchestras.  These people and groups are very expensive.  Too expensive.
>Yes, maybe some costs are passed on to the consumer, but one of Naxos'
>secrets is that it records less expensive performers and groups.  ...
>
>What does puzzle me is the full-price labels that record performers no
>better known than those Naxos uses.  Why are those CDs so expensive?

It seems that I've seen some of the same eastern European orchestras that
appear on Naxos occasionally show up on some of these other full price
labels.

Of course, Naxos' parent, HNH International, is guilty of this very thing
in releasing full priced Marco Polo CDs by some of their Naxos artists.
It used to be that the less common repertoire was released on Marco Polo,
but of course they've begun doing this in a big way with Naxos.  It seems
that I recall that some old Marco Polo recordings have been re-released
on Naxos.  Are they still releasing new titles under the Marco Polo label,
anyone?

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com/