From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:46:42 +0000
   Johann Sebastian Bach(1685-1750)
             Solo Arias

Cantata No.83 - Erfreute Zeit
Cantata No.170 - Vergnugte Ruh
Cantata No.82 - Schlummert Ein, Ihr Matten Augen
Cantata No.74 - Nichts Kann Mich Erretten
Cantata No.42 - Wo Zwei Und Drei Versammelt Sind
Cantata No.156 - Herr, Was Du Willst
St. Matthew Passion - Erbarme Dich
Cantata No.54 - Widerstehe Doch Der Sunde
Mass in B minor - Laudamus Te
Cantata No.156 - Sinfonia
Christmas Oratorio - Bereite Dich Zion
Christmas Oratorio - Wie Soll Ich Dich Empfangen

Sony Classical 89924
Venice Baroque Orchestra
Andrea Marcon, Director
Angelika Kirchschlager, Mezzo-Soprano
Giuliano Carmignola, Baroque Violin
Recorded 2002
TT 72:47

Comparisons: Goerne/Decca, Bostridge/Virgin

Kirchschlager, Marcon, and Carmignola are three fast-rising stars of
baroque music, and Sony has collected them together for this new recording
of Bach arias.  The focal point is of course the young and attractive
mezzo-soprano Angelika Kirchschalger who bears a striking resemblance
to the gorgeous Sigourney Weaver of the "Alien" movies.

Kirchschalger has a very attractive voice with fine emotional depth.  My
sole reservation is that she has trouble 'soaring' in the more powerful
music such as the aria from BWV 83; powerful projection just isn't one
of her strengths.  On the other hand, Kirchschalger is heavenly in the
more mellow arias.

The orchestral support from Marcon and company is generally excellent
with fine detail and energy.  Carmignola is an exceptional violinist,
and I can't speak highly enough of the oboe contributions from Stephanie
Haegele which are incisive and heart-felt.  My only complaint is in BWV
156 which needs much more breathing room than the hard driving Marcon
will allow.

Ultimately, listening to this fine disc makes me think of the Bach aria
discs from Ian Bostridge on Virgin and Matthias Goerne on Decca.  Those
two gentlemen can easily 'carry' a set of performances, but neither
Kirchschlager's tonal qualities or musical personality is quite up to
the task.  By my thinking, these vocal recital discs require singers of
great distinction.  Kirchschlager might reach that point in the future,
but she currently is some distance behind.

Don's Recommendations: Enjoyable and easy to recommend performances.
However, those wanting to go the 'Bach Aria' route would be better advised
to seek out the Bostridge and/or Goerne recordings.  Those are special
discs; Kirchschlager's is not.

Don Satz