From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:44:53 -0700
Peter Varley ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>In between, and much better IMO, there are Berglund, Rattle, Gibson and
>Saraste (although Saraste's live audiences don't seem impressed, judging by
>the noise they make).  I recall the Collins set, which I heard on LP in my
>youth, as being very good indeed, but that was decades ago and my memory
>isn't all that reliable.

I'm with Saraste's audience, very bland.  Berglund I find unconvincing in
the earlier symphonies, but picking up at around No.4 (although I don't
cazre for his 5) 6 & 7 are very good.  This pretty much applies to both
EMI cycles, don't know the Finlandia(?)

Collins is superb. Your memory doesn't fail you.

Deryk Barker