From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:54:22 -0800
I am in complete agreement (while still trying to figure out why in my
report last week, I misspelled her name consistently...:(

   From Heuwell Tircuit's Dec. 11 www.sfcv.org review -

   Thursday's performance (of Berio's "Epiphanies") was in every sense
   a Spectacular, wherein performance levels ranged between the merely
   excellent to the nearly unbelievable.  Soprano Flanigan, for instance,
   has either sold her soul to the devil, or she possesses the greatest
   command of vocal technique and controlled timbre since Kirsten
   Flagstad.

   During the half-hour Berio work, she sang with incredible beauty
   for the lyrical moments, soared through atonal coloratura filigree,
   shouted, spoke, raged, hissed and gestured through six languages:
   French (Proust), Spanish (Machado), English (Joyce), Italian (Sangumeti)
   and German (Brecht).  All was beautifully accomplished with assurance.
   She moved though Berio's demands with the kind of ease one expects
   when hearing the average Christmas carol.  And mind you, she made
   herself heard through all this against an orchestra worthy of Mahler
   in a particularly extravagant mood.

Janos Gereben/SF