From:
Gregory Sigman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:32:35 -0700
Mitch Friedfeld wrote:

>Did I mention that these military band concerts are free?  Sometimes
>tickets must be acquired in advance, but by law the bands are not
>allowed to charge for their performances.  The military bands, not just
>the President's Own, are top-notch performers of challenging, eclectic
>music.  Do check them out if you ever get the chance.

I'd like to just second this motion.  The President's Own is the best
of the best of gigs for wind band players.  A large number of those cats,
if not a majority, have graduate degrees in music.  The auditions are
every bit as competitive as for a major symphony orchestra (I have some
first hand knowledge of this), and they can read anything you lay in
front of them.  World class players, every one, even if they're most
well known for playing "Hail to the Chief" and "Stars & Stripes Forever".

Greg Sigman, Senior Library Associate
Ohio University Music/Dance Library