From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:05:47 -0500
Don Satz on list:

>Liszt's music most reminds me of a petulant child who is always going
>over-board in his declamations.  Any other opinions?

Don exempts the late Liszt piano works from his condemnation and I
certainly agree on that.  But I believe that the rest of Liszt is much
more varied than Don's description.  The Faust Symphony is surely one of
the great romantic works, and is neither child -like nor petulant.  I like
the over the top rhetoric of the piano sonata as well.

There is fine choral music among his work, and his songs are likewise of
very high quality, as demonstrated in a Shirai-Holl cd.  The arrangements
have great gems among them- particularly the Beethoven symphonies.  And
lately I have enjoyed a cd of Schubert lieder arrangements, mainly of the
Schwanengesangen played by Frederic Chiu.  These are remarkable.  Some of
them sound like a collaboration between the two composers, unlikely though
that may sound.Some sound like an argument between the two, eventually won
by the composer actually present in the flesh.  I got this cd out of the
public library and I keep revisiting it.

In fact, come to think of it, I am not sure how to detect petulance in
music.

B Chasan