From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:28:59 +0200
Kevin writes:

>Naxos is NOT an American label,

I stand corrected.

>And whose fault is that?  You make it sound as if foreigners are to
>blame for the Dutch lack of originality that reared its head from time
>to time.

Sorry if I made that impression.  Obviously it's entirely one's own fault
if they feel they have to imitate anybody instead of speaking with their
own voice.

>IN that case, you shouldn't be taking pot shots at the international
>community.  If you're happy at home, stay at home and be happy.  If you
>want to travel, update your passport and get on the plane, as it w
>re.

Thanks for the reminder on my passport since I'm off to Paris in a
fortnight to enjoy some great contemporary French music.  I never intended
to "take a pot shot" at anybody.  I merely wanted to state the fact that
Dutch Composer Export is suffering in a bizarre way because of the broad
possibilities they get INSIDE Holland.  Funny enough....

I'll still stand by my remark though about the chauvinism of some
periodicals.  Just one fact to back up this statement that you ought to
verify yourself: in how many cases is there a British involvement (British
artist, British composer, British record company) involved in the yearly
Grammophone Awards?  I think the outcome is "interesting to note" for a
magazine that claims to be for the international market.

Your remark about a Dutch entrepeneur starting a record company of
his own shows exactly my point: there IS such a Dutch guy.  He is the
founder of the super budget "brilliant classics" label.  See their website
www.joanrecords.com and note how typical they behave: While there is an
abundance of great Dutch musicians is in the catalogue, Dutch music is
practically non existent.

>Again, why not? Start one! You're articulate. Get onto the writing
>staff or Musicweb.uk, and be the spokesman for Dutch music. It's easy.
>You can write well, do something to promote your country's music.

Not a bad suggestion....  As long as one could stay honest and
enthusiastic, one should do just that.  Again: sorry if my mail sounded
a bit like taking a "pot shot" at anybody.  I really don't think that
there is a conspiracy or anything.  Nor would I venture to state that
less important or less quality music is "in the way" of Dutch music,
because who is to say?  I am merely frustrated at a low self esteem that
is uncalled for.

I would be quite interested in how other list members of so called
"smaller countries" think their country's music fares on the international
scene.  Any comments from you guys out there in, say, Finland or South
America?

take care.
Jos