From:
Dave Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:53:00 -0800
Janos Gereben wrote:

>Lights were down, so it was impossible to read the libretto; both
>singers are famous for their diction, but they were amplified (why?!),
>and other than a word here, a phrase there, I couldn't make out the text.

I saw the performance the night before, at the Mountain View Center for
the Performing Arts, an excellent venue we discovered for the first time.
No microphones were used, and the house lights were up enough to easily
follow the libretto.  For these reasons, perhaps, my take on the piece
and the performance was totally different.  I agree the music was vital
and thrilling, but unlike Janos's view, I thought the story was sufficiently
well-deliniated and effective.  The ending line, "I don't think you
should call me any more," indicated that there was still danger from the
son, who might learn the location of his fled wife from those calls.  It
also said that dealing with the tragedy was becoming unbearable for the
mother--a completely understandable reaction.  I believe the booklet
indicated that another act is being comtemplated for this piece.  If
that is the case, it's not fair to judge it as a complete work.

Dave Wolf