From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:05:00 EST
Steve Schwartz, nixing, and nixing, and nixing the canon:

>...knowing as wide a range of music as you can is nice.  But as we have
>seen from the testimony of several posters, people don't necessarily need
>it for understanding, in the sense of enjoyment.  ...

If the criterion's enjoyment, period, then, to be sure, any kind of music,
anti-music, and even non-music will do.  One thing to be said for this
theory is that it has a long, if marginal, history.  If memory serves,
it dates back to the 5th century BC, as personified by the philosopher
Aristippus who speculated that the supreme good was to be found in the
pleasure of the moment, and though he did not recommend seeking it in
music, he at least associated it with something close to it, the "the
smooth motion of the flesh." In our own age this wisdom was impressively
personified by the American sage, Satchel Paige, who counselled that
attainment of the supreme good lay in "keepin' the juices janglin'."

Denis Fodor