From:
Rodney DeCecco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:32:35 -0500
I, too, am somewhat disappointed at the choice of James Levine as
music-director elect of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.  Although the
board of directors could certainly have made a worse choice (as they did
in 1972), Levine epitomizes the "modern" conductorial school, kind of a
chrome-plated, "slick Willie", generic approach to his music-making.  As
a self-professed admirer of Maestro Arturo Toscanini, Levine has a long
way to go before he even approaches that level of music making.  However,
I am happy to see that Mr.  Levine's personal life did not enter into the
decision (or at lest it was not the deciding factor).  I did not think the
Boston Brahmins would ever elect a "known" gay music director!  The right
spirit won out this time. . .

Herr Doktor Professor Tonmeister Rod DeCecco
Department of Applied Music, The People's University