From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:07:18 +1000
Kevin Sutton:

>...put in a word for the symphonies of Sir Charles Hubert H. Parry.  Naxos
>has recorded number two and I have enjoyed it greatly!

Agreed.  I wish they'd release the others.  I have the Mathias Bamert
versions on Chandos of the 3rd and 4th which are excellent IMHO.  Bamert
is nothing if not versatile - Parry today, Stamitz tomorrow, Dohnanyi the
day after and so on.  He seems to be creating a reputation by recording
lesser-known material.  Long may he prosper!

On the subject of Naxos, a few years ago their ads listed a jawdropping
list of music they planned to have released by the end of next year (by
which time I *fervently* hope we'll have come up with a better term than
"the year two thousand").  I must dig one out and see how well advanced
they are.

Richard Pennycuick