From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:02:35 -0800
Jeff Dunn wrote:

>Then there are the strange numbering systems of the avant garde.  I hope
>experts out there can provide interesting examples.  I've seen decimals
>used, although Roman numerals seem to be more common.
>
>Somehow, putting a number on something gives it more gravitas, at least
>I think so.  Or does it diminish??

For me, it's a near deal breaker.  If I see a work titled "Purplescape
3.2" I immediately can't take it seriously.  The work can overcome this,
but it's a strong, almost visceral reaction for me.

On the other hand a modern work with a more conventional title certainly
gets the benefit of the doubt.  It's not rational to judge a book by
it's cover, but....

There's no question in my mind this all depends on how one views the
general sweep of art music, and whether or not one has a favorable view
of modern developments in classical music.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/