From:
Jim Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:41:36 EDT
I have Barenboim's Berlin recording of the 7th symphony.  At first I
thought it lacked power . . . but after repeated listening I've concluded
that it is very powerful, but in a subtle sort of way.  The music seems
to just unfold of its own accord, naturally, with no one forcing it along.
The penultimate crescendo in the 4th movement happens so gradually that I
am surprised, almost, when the final resolution floats up out of the deep
well of sound.  Great recording, I think.  It's a disc I listen to and
lose myself in, so that I'm not aware of the stereo or the disc or even
Barenboim . . . just the music.  So much for my "professional" opinion.
(Smile)

Jim Saunders, Portland, OR USA