From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 15:03:32 PDT
Felix asked for Bach harpsichord recommendations other than Landowska or
Leonhardt.  This is well-tread territory of late, so I'll just mention two
favorites:

1. Kenneth Gilbert performing The Art of Fugue on Archiv.  For me, this is
the most enjoyably expressive of all harpsichord recordings of the work.
Gilbert is wonderfully subtle, and this quality get to me every time.  If in
doubt, check out Contrapunctus III.  Recorded sound is superb.  I'm not as
enthralled with Gilbert's WTC, but it is a very good set.

2.  Hantai performing the Goldberg Variations on Opus III.  Again, sound
quality is the best.  Hantai displays great pacing and part playing.  I
think it's the best harpsichord recording of the Goldbergs on the market.
Hantai has recorded Bach harpsichord concerti on Opus III and a few Bach
solo discs for Virgin.  He is uniformly excellent.

Both artists get to the heart of Bach and convey a wealth of messages which
you can do with as you please.  What more could you want?

Don Satz