From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:52:18 -0800
Lee Hester wrote:

> I suspect no one has pointed out the most obvious "Music used in Film"
> precisely because it is so obvious.

I am in agreement 100% Greatest film score ever.

> I am not as familiar with Ivan the Terrible for a variety of reasons,
> but mostly because the work was unfinished due to Eisenstein's death
> after filming the first 2 of 3 parts.  I find it hard to watch unfinished
> movies.  However, some folks I know consider Ivan to be even greater
> than Nevsky.

Not me.  I don't believe the music is as good as in Nevsky.  And the
films themselves are very, very dark - it's been years but I seem to
recall most of part II (The Boyars' Plot) is shot indoors.

However, what I do clearly recall is the latter turning sepia shortly
before the end and then, for about 5 minutes, bursting into glorious
colour (probably using the USSR's entire colour film stock) before
returning to sepia for the final scene.  Don't recall what the music
was doing at this point though.

deryk barker