From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 15:36:00 -0400
Bernard Chasen writes, in reply to Danny Tan:

>Two great nineteenth century omissions: Schumann and Grieg.

Essential!

>Medtner: Two concerti.

Actually, three.

>Bartok: All three are wonderful, in different ways.

Essential.

>Prokofiev- wrote 5, I believe.

Correct.

>The second is a favorite of mine.

Likewise.

>The Naxos set has received high praise.

Justly.

>Rautavaara - I have not heard the one just recorded by the dedicatee,
>Ashkenazi, but the earlier ones are very good - perhaps his best
>work, IMHO.

The new third is wonderfully ethereal.  The first is a spectacular bravura
work.

>Busoni- unique- complete with chorus!!

Essential.

To which I must add:

Barber - as lyrical as his violin concerto.

Stenhammar - the first is on the same grand scale as the Brahms 2nd.  It's
hard to believe that this was Stenhammar's Op. 1.

Chopin 1 and 2 - Chopin's orchestral writing "gets no respect", but so
what.

Atterberg - the new recording just continues to grow on me.  The big moment
in the 2nd movement is breathtaking.

Strauss - Burleske - not really a concerto but great fun, especially with
its prominent timpani.

Brahms 1 - *the* "desert island" concerto for me.

I'm sure I'm overlooking some obscurities I'm devoted to...

len.