From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 10:57:19 +1100
Here's another fan of Madetoja and I've been pleased to find that there
are other like-minded listers.  To add to Dave's interesting thoughts
on Finnish composers of the same period, I'd like to add Selim Palmgren
(1878-1951), some of whose music I've got to know from his entry in
Finlandia's Meet the Composer series (0630-19810-2; 147:31).  This set
contains his five piano concertos, an orchestral suite called Pictures
of Finland, a piano sonata, and seven piano pieces.  The piano concertos
are all quite short, ranging from 15' to 24', and are, IMHO, immediately
likeable.  I wouldn't claim any particular originality for Palmgren's
writing, but it's none the worse for that.

The Meet the Composers series is made up of material from Finlandia's
back catalogue and cost about 3 Naxoses per set.  Those I've acquired
are generously filled and well-recorded.  There are a number of things
the Finns do well and this is just another example.

Incidentally, I once made the mistake of referring to Finland as if it were
part of Scandinavia.  A friend who grew up in Helsinki firmly advised me
otherwise.  Thus when I once did a series of radio programs on symphonies
by composers from northern Europe, I called them northern composers.  It's
usually wise to play safe.

Richard Pennycuick