From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 22:39:37 +0000
Bert Bailey writes about two new Naxos recordings (Bach Cello Suites and
Bartok Quartets):

>They'd add to what are already quadruple - /quintuple thick areas of the
>collection (...well, that's a lot for me, Don!) so I'd welcome some
>impressions.

Am I really considered such a big buyer of multiple versions?  I guess
I was, but retirement has put quite a crimp in my purchases.  Now, most
of what I acquire is either through trades with other folks and what
MusicWeb sends me.  The days of grabbing up every version of, say, the
Goldberg Variations is at an end.  But it was a good run while it lasted.

Back to the issue at hand, I haven't acquired the Bach Cello Suites,
given that I assume the cello used is not a baroque original or copy (I
could be wrong).  But I did get the Bartok Quartets played the Vermeer
Quartet (haven't listened yet).  I'll likely use the Vermeer as my 'taking
off' point for a review of various recordings of the complete string
quartets, but that's for another day.

Don Satz