From:
Nicolas Croze-Orton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:00:23 EDT
For all those out there arguing about Don Satz comment on the Near-End
Romantics.  Yes Liszt invented stuff, Yes so did Chopin and on and on, but
then again so did Ozzy Osbourne!!  My point is they kept adding and adding
and adding.  Thicker Harmony!!!  Thicker Counterpoint!!!  Big, big, BIGGER
orchestras!!!!  More is NOT better in my opinion, romanticism was not a
more suffering era than our own...  if Tchaikovsky and Chopin`s music can
be explained by the fact they suffered more, why don`t we have overblown
music ine the Middle-Ages, Oh come on!  it has nothing to do with it, it
was a fad!!  Bigger made MONEY!!  Bigger was IMPRESSIVE!!.  (yes I like
some Tchaikovsky, and whatever falls into the likes of that) But I heavily
criticize what I call cheap emotion (Harmony A+Counterpoint B= A heap of
emotion) I smell overdoing it here!!!

Nicolas