From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:56:09 PDT
Peter Varley wrote:

>Where you live, are full-price recordings more expensive than cheaper
>recordings by a factor of _three_?

They sure are.

>DG and the other "majors", if they aren't stupid, must be aware that
>any new recording of standard repertoire is competing not only with Naxos,
>Arte Nova, CFP, et al, but with their own back catalogue (and others have
>noted earlier in the thread that DG have a particularly good back
>catalogue).  To whom do they expect to sell in large enough numbers to
>make a profit?

The past and present are different.  In past years, the majors did seem
oblivious to the competition.  With monetary losses, they have wised up
and decided to cut way down on new full-price releases by restricting the
full price issues to "bankable" artists.

>Why buy any recordings of Beethoven symphonies?  They'll probably
>all be broadcast within the month.

I shudder to think of what a pitiful listening experience I'd have if I
relied on broadcasts.  First, broadcasts in my geographical area are slim
and of variable quality.  Second, I've had it with someone else being at
the controls, deciding what I will listen to and when.

>Not everyone who works hard makes good money.  There are those who
>work hard for very little financial reward.  There are also people who
>don't do much and get paid a lot for it.

And there are people who perform what I consider unethical jobs and get
paid a king's ransom.  Peter, in his original posting, did not address
any "financial need" considerations, so I didn't either.  Of course,
the individual or family unit must cover its necessary expenses before
allocating funds for music purchases.  If discretionary income is low,
some hard choices have to be made.  I don't recommend to my young adult
children that they go out and buy full price releases; that's not viable.
I recommend toward the low end, and give them some cds from time to time.

I don't think Peter and I are far apart on this matter.  I realize
that paying full price when excellent alternatives are available at
much lower cost is not necessarily such a hot idea.  Financially, I can,
within reason, buy at full price whenever I want.  There is certainly an
additional cost to me - having to defer or forget about the purchase of
other items and activities.  You won't find me on the "Love Boat" this
summer.  Actually, starting tomorrow, I'm on extended vacation.  For me,
this means three days out in the woods in northern New Mexico.  I greatly
indulge myself in classical music, nothing else.  Well, there is one other
thing, but that's private.

Don Satz