From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:08:57 -0500
Bob Kasenchak on the BSO::

>This is all very very interesting, as I'm about to move out there in the
>heart of it all to see what the deal really is.  I must say I can't wait to
>live in a city with a real orchestra...but the general opinion of the BSO
>[on this list] is so low right now that, well, I'm not sure what to think.

So I will tell you what I think you should think.  Despite what you have
read on this list, some of it quite justified, the BSO is still a first
class orchestra in a first class hall, playing interesting programs with
something like 10 different conductors on the podium (one at a time!) in
the upcoming season.  Interesting programs as well.  And as others have
mentioned, there is a lot more music going on - at the N.E.  Conservatory,
at the Boston Conservatory, the Longy School, Boston University, the
Emmanuel Schubert series, Brandeis (Lydian Quartet), the Metamorphosen
Chamber group, etc.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University