From:
"John G. Deacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:50:57 +0200
Mimi Ezust was kind enough to write about having found Agustin Anievas's
Rach 2 on EMI's Encore label.  Better still though is the EMI 2-fer on
"Forte" containing all 4 concertos plus the Paganini Variations which is
a stunning bargain indeed (CZS 568619-2).

Joel Hill mentioned the Chopin Etudes which, along with the Waltzes and a
few other items, is scheduled for re-issue on another "Forte" 2-fer before
too long.  This will mean that most of Anievas's EMI material will have
been re-issued bar the very fine Brahms Paganini & Handel variations (his
first LP for EMI) and a few of the Liszt pieces.  There was hope that
Testament might pick these up but so far I've no news about it.

Mimi asked about the "New Philharmonia Orchestra?" They were certainly
not "a pick-up group" but the "old" and great Philharmonia which was closed
down by Walter Legge in 1964 and promptly reformed itself as the NPO as
an independent body under chairman Gareth Morris (1st flute) and with
Klemperer as chief conductor.  I recall that the story is well told in
Peter Heyworth's marvellous biography of Klemperer.

John G. Deacon
Home page: www.ctv.es/USERS/j.deacon