From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 09:48:30 +1000
By now, Vilaas Shetty must have more than enough concertos to last a long
time, but there are some others no-one has yet mentioned AFAIK:

Haydn's three concertos (and possibly more) are not heard or recorded all
that often but are charming works.  If you're lucky, you might get the
Sinfonia Concertante thrown in.

Apart from the violin concertos, there's an attractive Philips Duo set
of Bruch's other longer works for violin and orchestra including the
already-mentioned Scottish Fantasy and my favourite, the Serenade.

And then there are:  Mendelssohn's early Concerto in D Minor and Concerto
for Violin and Piano; Suk's Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra; Sibelius's
Humoresques and other short violin and orchestra works; Britten's sometimes
bleak sometimes steamy concerto; Piston's concertos (on Naxos, too);
Brian's surprisingly approachable concerto; Dyson's long and very rewarding
concerto; Bernstein's Serenade; Vieuxtemps' rather flashy but enjoyable
concertos (I think there are seven but there could be more); Martinu's
two concertos; Frankel's (subtitled In memory of the six million) with
which you get the equally fine viola concerto and the Serenata Concertante.
Another good Naxos contains concertos by Berwald and Aulin and a couple of
romances by Stenhammar.  And Allan Pettersson's second is quite amazing and
will leave you wrung out and in need of immediate creature comforts.

The thread title by implication might suggest we consider those concertos
listers don't like or don't like as much, and I'm sure to raise someone's
ire thus:

Stravinsky's is OK but IMHO not one of his best works.  I've tried
Dutilleux's but...  Ditto Schoenberg's.  Definitely double ditto Penderecki
which I never want to hear again.

Richard Pennycuick