From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 22:05:34 PDT
Philip Peters wrote in response to me:

>>I can't fully recommend any of the period instrument versions.
>
>Have you tried Malgoire, Koopman, and Herreweghe too?  I find these
>very rewarding (but then I'm very happy with Gardiner as well).

I believe I've tried all recorded period instrument versions except for
Malgoire.  It's probably a case of "preconceptions"; I advise others to
drop them, but I'm just as prone to fall under their spell.  There's a
"heavy weight" to the Requiem that I tend to look for which is much less
likely to be found in a HIP performance.  What I need to do is highlight
other performance aspects and get off the weight kick.  I'll try to
remember that the next time.

Don Satz