From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 16:37:01 +0100
Pablo Massa wrote

>Love has obviously much to do at Orpheus myth, but there's no love scene
>(properly speaking) .......  at Gluck's "Orfeo et Euridice".

I remember going to the London Coliseum to see this, thinking it will
probably be very boring but at least I can cross it off the list of operas
I have seen.  Curtain up and first a spendid opening chorus.  Oh well I
thought I bet thats the best bit.  The singers came on, try and stay awake,
then suddenly there appeared a group of naked dancers who pranced around
the stage for the rest of the opera.  I managed to stay awake through the
opera ok, but I don't remember much about the plot.  Was there a love
scene? Perhaps they were all love scenes, who knows!  Would now be a good
time to discuss whether opera is becoming more popular and why?

Tim Horwood