From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 10:11:02 +1200
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]> scripsit:

>I have my share of Naxos CDs, but most of those were purchased when a chain
>discontinued them and sold their inventory for $3.99.  That is about my
>price threshold for buying their CDs "blind".  In their normal price range
>(~$5.99), when possible I'll spend the extra dollar or two on, say, Sony
>Essential Classics, where I've been disappointed less.

Throughout New Zealand, as far as I am aware, Naxos CDs are priced at
NZ$14.95 (though some stores ask for $16.95).  The Sony Essential Classics
releases here are in fact somewhat cheaper at $9.95.  I have been busy
acquiring quite a few releases from both sources for my own collection.
OTOH I have also been acquiring quite a few full price releases (anywhere
between $29.95 to the ridiculous price of $48.95 for a single CD).  I've
paid up to $37.95 very occasionally, but I have never been tempted to pay
any more - no matter what praise the critics and reviewers have heaped upon
it - if it costs more than that, it is overpriced, and frankly it takes a
fool to encourage inflated prices, by continuing to pay inflated prices.

Geoffrey S.W. Gaskell