From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:48:43 -0500
Joel Hill asked:

>Has anyone heard this Concerto?? It is coupled with his Violin concerto.
>
>I hope the hype doesn't leave me disappointed, and would be eager to hear
>if others know this music.

I haven't read the critics Joel mentionned, but I have known the concerto
for about 15 years.  It is a bit eclectic, retaining Atterberg's intense
lyricism, sometimes even coming close to Rachmaninov, but also -- and more
unexpectedly still -- to Prokofiev.  It is altogether more ironic than the
symphonies Nos.  1-6, but does not betray the kind of bitterness to be
found in later works.  This is not too surprising, since Atterberg's
reputation had not collapsed as yet (unless one of our distinguished
Swedish listers says the contrary...).

I personally feel closer to, say, Symphonies Nos. 3 and 5, but this
concerto certainly is temperamental and spectacular.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le