From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:14:20 -0700
Barenboim has also been involved in music camps for young Israeli and
Arab musicians.  He is by no means the first musician to emphasize the
extraordinary power of music to cross barriers.  Remember a striking
feature of the Celtic folk music revival?  Folk musicians from Ireland,
Scotland, and England continued to play together in groups and to perform
at one another's folk clubs, THROUGHOUT the "troubles" in Northern
Ireland.  I am thinking of venues outside of Northern Ireland itself,
but I wonder whether musicians of Catholic and Orangeman descent played
together in Ulster too.  Does anyone know?

Jon Gallant                and                    Dr. Phage