From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:43:48 -0800
Jeff Dunn:

> But what if some orchestra asked us: what underplayed works would YOU
> like to hear at your nearest symphony orchestra? There are many pieces I
> love on CDs, but somehow they never get performed. I think part of the
> reason is that music directors and their satillites don't have the time
> to listen to many new or newly discovered works, whereas some of us
> indefatiguable CD collectors would have dozens of possibilties that
> would probably be audience hits.

and gives us some excellent choices.  Off the top of my head:

* Any work by Grazyna Bacewicz
* Poulenc's Les Animaux modeles and Concert champetre
* Any Piston symphony other than the fourth
* Any orchestral work by Arnold Rosner
* Vaughan Williams's Concerto Grosso, Old King Cole, or Partita for Double
String Orchestra
* Bloch's Symphony in Eb, Violin Concerto, or Concerto symphonique
* Yardumian's Passacaglia, Recitative, and Fugue
* Bartok's Cantata profana
* Bruckner's Helgoland
* Gould's Spirituals for Orchestra
* Honegger's Symphony No. 1
* Stravinsky's Violin Concerto
* Schoenberg's Weihnachtsmusik 1921
* Hindemith's Symphony in Bb
* Debussy's Le Martyre de Saint Sebastien or 3 Villon Ballads

Dream on.

Steve Schwartz