From:
Gerald F Pillay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:16:48 +0800
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Let's assume that the history of western classical music had been the same
>as it is except for one difference: Mozart had been born 200 years later,
>in 1956.

Thank you, Walter Meyer, for launching an irresistible line of speculation.
I am sure we all indulge, with our favourite composer, from time to time.

Lately, I thought if Mozart were around, he would "just die" listening to
Joey De Francesco's Danny Boy or indeed anything by Jimmy Smith, both on
the Hammond.  Probably also to Etta Jones' "Don't Go To Strangers".  Ours
is indeed a rich world of music to tempt him..

He'd probably write much of his orchestral stuff, even if they wounded like
he had help from the Swingle Singers.  Certainly the 40th and 41st..

And surely, he would write his operas.  And, maybe, they would have more
than a touch of the great Broadway Musicals.

But, somehow, I don't imagine him entering the annual BBC competition for
new composers.  Nor taking to Mahler, perhaps not even to Wynton Marsalis.

Please excuse this indulgence.  But, again, others might enjoy doing the
same.

Gerald Pillay
Singapore