From:
William Strother <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:12:54 -0800
Jos Janssen wrote:

>I think it's one of the big problems that people strive for completeness
>in classical music instead of depth.  Moreover, it may well be one of the
>reasons for the current crisis in classical recording industry.  ...

Complete sets can be a mixed bag, but it all depends on what you want.
And, in some cases, it's the only available way to get a performance
you want.  I have a number of complete sets of Beethoven -- several of
symphonies, concertos, quartets, etc.  And of Mozart chamber works, and
Schubert quartets, etc.  I also have many, many single recordings of works
that have a personal meaning to me.

Bill S