From:
Terry Newstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:29:03 -0500
Bill Pirkle replied to Don Satz Re: the term "classical music":

>>My basic response to Bill is that a descriptive term can be relevant
>>without being exacting.  It's a slippery world when one wants the exact.
>
>Indeed, I don't have a problem with the term per se, nor am I looking for
>an "exact" definition.  Any definition will do, and that is looking less
>and less possible.  ...

It's not unreasonable to want to have a definition.  But it is, I think,
unreasonable to insist that the definition must satisfy everyone (even
in this relatively small set of list-members).

What's so unusual about the notion that not everyone will agree on
a definition? You think "classical music" is tough -- try "justice" or
"democracy" or "love" or any of probably hundreds of others, and see what
kind of consensus you get.  Asking the question is fine; insisting on a
one-size-fits-all answer may not be as fine.

Terry L Newstrom