From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 23:41:19 -0400
In regards to the 7th and its two finale codas:  the story goes, that
Prokofiev was told that he would win the Stalin prize if he would just
append a faster ending to the piece.  So...  etc.  So goes the story.

Rostropovich's version of 7, I believe, plays the earlier, slower coda.
I think Ozawa's may as well.  As may some other versions.

As to Anosov having disappeared, a quick check of amazon.com reveals
3 releases with his name attached, and his name is certainly familiar.
That's more recordings (as conductor) than, say, of (composer) Golubev,
who did .not.  fall out of favor...  (and who was taught by Miaskovsky,
taught Schnittke, and to my ears had more talent than a good deal of the
competition I hear out there; but what do I know.  The tendency to predict
talent by one's political associations is, well, silly, isn't it?)

He (Anosov)'s listed in a Rostropovich collection; as conductor of
Shebalin's horn concertino in an Olympia remastering (coupled with the 5th
and to my ears best of Shebalin's fine symphonies, itself conducted however
by Svetlanov); and an out-of-stock Arlecchino CD entitled "the Art of
Nikolai Anosov." It is my assumption anyhow that this and the N P Anosov
you refer to, are identical.

Sorry about the rant, which is .not. directed at Mr. Pennycuick...  do
enjoy both LP and CD.  (BTW it's my experience that the differences between
sym. 4 op.47 and sym. 4 revised op. 112, while minor, are still sufficient
to cause me to prefer the latter!!)

Eric Schissel
http://www.lightlink.com/schissel ICQ#7279016