From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 09:32:52 -0700
Far be it from me to be at variance with D. Fodor himself, but I do, I do.
The awkward phrase here is not the result of impaired language (honest!),
but wanting to be precise: I cannot "disagree" with Denis' (or anybody's)
preference or liking, only indicate that I must do otherwise. He wrote:

Denis Fodor wrote:

>And during the music festival season there's plenty of that kind of fare.
>But Salzburg which has pioneered the presentation of modern works by Big
>Music, has poignantly chosen to keep things apart.  The modern music is not
>usually played not at the two big houses, but elsewhere ...  On the whole,
>I like it better when the two genres are kept apart, for twain they are.

And my point is that ("here he goes again!") MTT's and Nagano's programming
(and others, elsewhere, but not on a daily basis, in my own backyard)
provides -- or imposes -- variety and exposes one camp to the repertory of
the other. Or am I missing the point, which would not surprise me at all.

Janos Gereben/SF, CA