From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:02:28 -0700
Don Satz writes:

>>I have not listened to nor bought the Planets or the Saint-Saens Organ
>>Symphony for a long time, so I'll acquire those two recordings by Dutoit
>>and reinvigorate myself on that repertoire.

Hmm, I'm one of those unconvinced by Dutoit's Planets.  The composer, Boult
and Mackerras would head my list.  There's a new Levi on Telarc which I've
only listened to the once, but it sounds promising.

Mikael Rasmusson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Watch out for the Saint-Saens, Don. You are getting close to Liszt's
>Symphonic Poems.

In which case I'd suggest the selection under Scherchen on a deleted MCA
Double Decker which I think you can find at Berkshire.  Performances to
convince you that Liszt was a great orchestral composer.

Deryk Barker